15 April 2013

Interruption

I cried when I was born and every day shows why. - George Herbert


I had plans today to start working on my trip report from the Grand Canyon. So many things in my head to organize into a coherent and interesting report of running the R2R2R. As I sat down in the early afternoon, I was interrupted by a text from a friend in Alabama asking if I was in Boston. When I told her I wasn't, she told me about the bombings. Checking Facebook, our Boston friends were already letting us know they were ok. Many of them were downtown to watch the marathon, but thankfully, none were near the explosions.

Scanning over the news reports, I couldn't help but think of the years that I spent going down to Boylston St on Patriot's Day to watch the runners cross the finish. I either stood at the 26 mile mark or at the corner where the runners turn left onto the final stretch, close to both detonation sites.
Watching the 2008 marathon
My heart goes out to all the people who are now facing pain, loss, disfigurement and a long recovery. My prayers are for their comfort, healing and hope. In the midst of such violence, we saw the courage of those who ran toward the wounded, tearing off clothing to help to stop the bleeding. Reports of runners who continued to run to Mass General to donate blood shows that even when such evil is inflicted, compassion shines like a lighthouse in the storm.

"This life is not all; neither the beginning nor the end. 
I believe while I tremble, I trust while I weep." 
-Charlotte Bronte

My faith in a God who came down to earth to suffer in order to rescue mankind means He is not immune to pain. He was willing to stand in the worst of it. While I don't know why He allows suffering to continue, I know it's not because he doesn't care. The cross tells me otherwise. His resurrection shows me that He has conquered death and I can place my hope in the promise of a better world. The God of justice and mercy will make it right in the end. 

I lived in Boston for eight years and though I moved there because I needed work, I realized soon after how perfect it was for me. I fell in love with the place and the people. When I stepped onto the sidewalk outside my apartment in Cambridge, it was like getting an energy buzz. Memories of coffee at Diesel, burritos at Anna's, Alison Krauss at the Orpheum, strolling through the Public Garden and along the Waterfront, consuming all-you-can-eat-sushi at Minado, Sunday afternoons at the Gardner, cheering the Red Sox at Fenway, Saturday rides on the Minuteman Trail and people watching in Harvard Square are what come to mind tonight. I put up with all the traffic, crowds and congestion and got used to the outrageous prices by living on less. I loved living in a culture-making city with so much to discover and enjoy.         

Running with Steve Pero this weekend and hearing his Boston accent was like having a bit of "home" again. In case you need some interpretation, here's something to help with Boston speak: 
 

I love you Boston and friends. Be safe, keep the faith. I know you'll take care of your own and those passing through. 



Peace,

Shelby


No comments:

Post a Comment